Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan are heading to Hollywood: The couple have signed a multiyear deal with Netflix to produce scripted series, docu-series, documentaries, features and children’s programming.
The couple, who relocated to California in March after leaving their senior royal roles in the United Kingdom, announced the move Wednesday. No price tag was revealed.
According to the joint announcement from the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Ted Sarandos, co-CEO and chief content officer of Netflix, the focus of the couple’s still-unnamed company will be on creating “a wide range of programs about stories and issues that resonate with them personally, including highlighting issues that their non-profit Archewell is focused on.”
Harry, 35, and Meghan, 39, issued a statement about their unique ability to understand “the power of the human spirit” and their goal to create content that “gives hope.”
“Our lives, both independent of each other, and as a couple have allowed us to understand the power of the human spirit: of courage, resilience, and the need for connection,” they said.
“Through our work with diverse communities and their environments, to shining a light on people and causes around the world, our focus will be on creating content that informs but also gives hope,” they said. “As new parents, making inspirational family programming is also important to us, as is powerful storytelling through a truthful and relatable lens. We are pleased to work with Ted and the team at Netflix whose unprecedented reach will help us share impactful content that unlocks action.”
The couple’s son, Archie, who was born in London, turned 1 in May in Los Angeles. The family moved in July to a new home in pricey Montecito in Santa Barbara County near where their friend Oprah Winfrey also has an estate.
Prince Harry, Duchess Meghan honor Diana’s memory by planting her favorite flowers in preschool garden
More: 50 best TV shows to watch on Netflix right now
Sarandos also issued a statement saying he was “proud” the couple had chosen the streaming service to go into business with them.
“Harry and Meghan have inspired millions of people all around the world with their authenticity, optimism and leadership,” Sarandos said. “We’re incredibly proud they have chosen Netflix as their creative home – and are excited about telling stories with them that can help build resilience and increase understanding for audiences everywhere.”
Netflix in September: Tom Holland film, ‘Jurassic’ show, ‘Ratched’
The announcement said there are already several Sussex projects in development, including a nature docu-series and an animated series that celebrates inspiring women.
Harry and Meghan said they are committed to highlighting diverse voices in front of and behind the camera – and are committed to diverse hiring practices for the key roles they are now filling at their production company.
Meghan, the Los Angeles-born former actress, has no plans to return to the acting career she gave up when she married Harry at Windsor Castle in May 2018.
The Netflix-Sussex alliance has been predicted since Harry and Meghan announced they were stepping back from their royal roles in January. A similar alliance was established by their friends, former President Barack Obama and first lady Michelle Obama, when they left the White House in 2017.
Recently, Harry worked with the filmmakers of the documentary “Rising Phoenix,” in which he appeared, about the Paralympic games. The documentary premiered last week on Netflix to strong reviews.
‘Blindsided’ by racism, tabloid coverage: ‘Finding Freedom’ tells Harry and Meghan’s reasons for flight