Getting bored with your streaming routine in coronavirus quarantine? We’re here to help you amp it up by turning your typical viewing into a party.
The first step to any party is guests, of course. There are a couple ways you can watch a movie with friends during quarantine. If you’re using Netflix, you and your friends can download the free “Netflix Party” browser extension that allows you to stream simultaneously and also message each other alongside the movie.
If you’re using another viewing platform, you can call or FaceTime your friends, so you can interact while you watch. Or you can create a group message so that you’re typing back and forth instead of talking (which might work out better noise-wise).
Next, what’s a party without snacks? Grab your favorite movie munchies and your drink of choice.
Then, it’s time to plan the game. If you’re going to make the movie a drinking game, this is all you’ll need. If you want make it an alcohol-free night, grab a piece of paper and pen to create a bingo card.
To get you started, we’ve rounded up some TV shows and movies (most available on Netflix or on demand)that lend themselves well to extra fun. While watching, take a sip/shot any time one of the listed items happen. If you’re not drinking, just cross off that item on your bingo card.
The Netflix docuseries about exotic cats that took the Internet by storm is full of meme-worthy moments perfect for this game.
- Someone says “big cat.”
- Joe Exotic says “Carole Baskin.”
- You see Carole Baskin wearing a flower crown.
- You see an animal other than an exotic cat.
- Someone talks about an exotic animal injury.
- Whenever Joe’s mullet is on full display (no hat).
- Any time they show a hardly recognizable throwback photo of someone.
Netflix Party in quarantine:Watching ‘Tiger King’ together on a social-distance TV night
The Netflix reality competition series you just can’t look away from that has plenty of cringe-y and funny moments for a game. In the show, contestants bring social media to life as they battle is out to be the top “influencer” without ever meeting in person.
- Someone says “catfish.”
- Someone gets a special delivery.
- Joey sends a flirty message.
- Someone is crowned an influencer.
- The competitors get an onscreen “Alert!”
- Someone uses a wink emoji.
- A new contestant moves into the building.
Quarantine-themed TV episodes we’d like to see: ‘Glee,’ ‘Sex and the City,’ ‘Bob’s Burgers’
‘Love Is Blind’
If you’re looking for something with just as much craziness but a bit more romance, Netflix’s “Love Is Blind” will have you saying “I do … want to watch this.” It follows singles who get engaged without ever meeting their partner face-to-face in the dating stage.
- Someone gets engaged.
- Someone says “real connection.”
- Nick or Vanessa Lachey say “sight unseen.”
- Jessica complains about her and Mark’s age gap.
- Someone cries.
- You see someone with a golden wine glass.
- Someone says “I love you” after only a couple of dates.
‘Love Is Blind’ reunion: The most shocking moments
The beloved series about office shenanigans at a paper company in Scranton, Pennsylvania, has so many possible prompts, but here are seven ideas to get you started. All nine seasons can be streamed on Netflix.
- Jim plays a prank on Dwight.
- Pam answers the office phone.
- Jim stares into the camera outside of an interview.
- Someone says, “That’s what she said.”
- Someone refers to “assistant to the regional manager.”
- Dwight says “Question” or talks about farming.
- Angela talks about her cats.
‘Too Hot to Handle’
Netflix’s outrageous new dating show features 10 horny singles who must resist temptation in order to win $100,000 – aka, drinking game gold.
- Someone breaks a rule.
- Someone says, “Some rules are made to be broken.”
- Francesca says she’s going to puke.
- You feel uncomfortable during one of the workshops.
- Haley complains about someone.
- Kelsey freaks out about the money.
- Someone says “geezer” or “banter.”
‘Too Hot to Handle’ reunion: One couple gets engaged with a Ring Pop after an 8-month split
The Taylor Swift and Idris Elba movie musical is purr-fect for your movie night if you’re looking for something with music and some questionable computer-generated imagery.
- An original song is changed up.
- Someone’s accent falters.
- Someone pretends to lick themselves.
- Someone says “Jellicle.”
- Anytime you question why you’re watching this.
- You start crying with laughter or out of sadness.
- The CGI fur makes you uncomfortable.
In defense of ‘Cats’: Critics, keep your paws off this holiday surprise
If your children want to join in on some bingo, Netflix’s trending animated movie about four kids neglected by their parents is a bizarre yet strangely heartwarming story for the whole family.
- Anytime the father purrs.
- Anytime the mother’s knitting makes you uncomfortable.
- Anytime the characters talk about oatmeal.
- The twins swap sweaters.
- Nanny calls Tim “Skinny Bones.”
- Jane sings.
- Anytime you figure out who voices one of the characters.
- Anytime you question where this movie is going.
A bit of a throwback, Lindsay Lohan’s 2004 teen comedy can be enjoyed by both new and returning viewers with a gaming twist. The movie is available on Showtime.
- Someone says “fetch.”
- Someone pronounces “Cady” wrong.
- Regina eats a carb.
- Cady is hardcore crushing over Aaron.
- Someone refers to “The Plastics.”
- Anytime there’s a three-way call.
- You see the Burn Book.
‘Mean Girls’ Day: The definitive ranking of the movie’s best quotes
If you’re looking for extended game play, challenge yourself to watch the entire Harry Potter franchise! Or take it easy with one or two of your favorites.
- Anytime food reappears on the great hall dining table.
- There’s a Quidditch match.
- Anytime Hermione knows the answer.
- A spell is cast incorrectly/doesn’t work.
- Someone says something about Harry’s parents.
- Harry’s scar hurts.
- Malfoy says “my father.”
- Ron says “bloody.”
Need a laugh? 50 funny bits to watch while quarantined