Colin Trevorrow talks missing out on directing ‘Star Wars’: ‘There are going to be heartbreaks’

Colin Trevorrow counts not being able to direct a “Star Wars” film as one of the “heartbreaks” of his career, though the “Jurassic World: Dominion” filmmaker didn’t come away empty-handed.

During a “Directors on Directing” panel Thursday alongside Joseph Kosinski and Robert Rodriguez at the virtual Comic-Con@Home event, Trevorrow proudly showed off a 3D model of a TIE Marauder, a spaceship he designed with his son (now 11) when Trevorrow was developing the script for “Star Wars: Episode IX.”

“It’s an amazing memory for me of something that was an incredible experience,” said Trevorrow, who exited the movie that would become “The Rise of Skywalker” in 2017 and was replaced by J.J. Abrams.

‘Jurassic World: Dominion’: Bryce Dallas Howard shows off ‘crazy sick’ bruises from stunt work

Comic-Con: ‘New Mutants’ teases love story, sticks to August theatrical release date

A Lucasfilm statement at the time said Trevorrow was “a wonderful collaborator” but “our visions for the project differ.” The filmmaker said he hadn’t gotten too far in the development process, having mostly worked on art and writing when he left.

“I’ve been very fortunate. In the films that I’ve directed, the path that I wanted to follow and the path everyone involved wanted to follow was the same,” Trevorrow said. “It’s totally possible for people to see two totally different paths through the woods.”

“Episode IX” was “an experience that obviously you can imagine, as with all of these things, it can get to the point of being traumatic when there’s something you care about that much and you’ve invested that much in it,” added Trevorrow, who’s going back into production on “Dominion” in a few weeks. “But that’s one of the things you accept when you take on any role in film and especially when you become a storyteller: There are going to be heartbreaks, there are going to be crushing disappointments, there’s going to be victories, and hopefully they balance out in the end.”

For Kosinski, the one that got away for him was the race-car drama “Go Like Hell,” starring his “Top Gun: Maverick” icon Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt, which would eventually be made as last year’s “Ford v Ferrari” with Matt Damon and Christian Bale.

“I wouldn’t say we got close to production, but I got to the point where I had Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt at a table read reading the script together, which was pretty amazing,” Kosinski said. Unfortunately, “we couldn’t get the budget to the number it had to be at.”

He added that he actually saw director James Mangold’s “Ford v Ferrari” with Cruise “and we were thrilled,” said Kosinski, who’s now in “the home stretch” finishing “Maverick” (out Dec. 23). “It’s a weird thing to see someone make a movie of something that you had kinda got close to making but they did an amazing job with it.”

[Read More…]