Get out your ridiculous pink bunny onesies: Nov. 18 marks 35 years since “A Christmas Story” premiered in theaters. To help celebrate, we’ve done something that should earn a major award: We’ve rounded up 35 reasons why the holiday film about a boy who desperately wants a Red Ryder BB gun for Christmas is still worth watching.
1. “You’ll shoot your eye out.”
It’s the classic line that Ralphie hears whenever he expresses his desire for “a Red Ryder BB gun with a compass in the stock, and this thing which tells time.” His mom says it. His teacher says it. Even the mall Santa says it. And now, everyone says it.
2. You can even sing the movie’s most famous line.
Thanks to “A Christmas Story: A Musical” on Broadway, there’s now a song and tap number associated with the line.
3. Yes, there was a Tony-nominated musical.
4. There was also a live TV musical on Fox.
Unfortunately, it wasn’t great. We gave it one-and-a-half stars.
5. Peter Billingsley, aka Ralphie, is still happy to be connected to ‘A Christmas Story.’
He executive produced the Broadway musical, made a clever cameo as elf Ming Ming in “Elf” and was a producer on “Four Christmases.”
6. It incorporated the F word in a PG-rated movie.